“The eyes are the window of the soul”, goes a traditional proverb. These beautiful eyes need to be pampered with good care and caution. They are one of the most delicate organs too. So, lets see what Ayurveda has to offer here. Just like in the previous articles, I will be stressing on the natural way of applying kajal with some rules associated with it.
What ingredients of the modern day kajal would be toxic?
- Lead– Lead concentrations in the modern day market available kajal are a major threat to health. Lead is said to accumulate in the body especially in the bone marrow, brain, causing convulsions, anemia and other serious health hazards.
- Ethanolamine compounds– They are potential cancer causing chemicals specially when contaminated with nitrosamines. So, kindly avoid cosmetics which are having ingredients like DEA, MEA etc.
- Nickel and chrome– these are the two heavy metals which are commonly found in not only eye makeups but also in other cosmetics. They are very neurotoxins and carcinogenic substances. So better to avoid them before it is too late.
- Titanium dioxide– very commonly found in many of the personal care products and also cosmetics, though it is claimed to be safe, has been linked to cancer in few of its forms.
- Aluminium powder– Generally a common ingredient of eye makeup, is said to get accumulated in the neurons causing many conditions like Alzheimer’s disease.
So, make sure you check for these ingredients before picking one from the store.
Having said what to avoid, it is also necessary to know what is to be done about this.
- Described in detail as anjana in Ayurvedic classics, it is advised daily as a regimen for good clarity of vision and also to prevent certain eye diseases in an early stage. In essence, kajal is told by Ayurveda, both for preventive and therapeutic use.
- There are varieties of ointments told in Ayurveda, based on the uses, like, cleansing kajal, healing type of kajal and also soothing kind of kajal.
- Among the above, kajal which are suitable to the need of the individual must be applied using a metal applicator which are preferably thin.
- These metal applicators can be either made up of copper, silver or even gold. It must also necessarily have a small bulbous end which can help in application to the eyes.
- Preparation of kajal at home– Many households even today in traditional India have the practice of preparing kajal for self use. The materials generally used for the preparation are, a set of lamps, ghee, certain utensils and wick. Lamp is lit with ghee and a plate is inserted on top of it, very close to the flame. This should be kept until the flame goes off. Now, collect the plate and scrap off the carbon collected on the plate carefully. We can mix this powder with sufficient amount of ghee or butter (to make kajal consistency) and can be stored in a suitable box. This kajal is not water proof, but enhances the look of the eyes, as well as, helps in making eyes healthy.
- The above procedures can be made with variations in the lamp selection, as well as, the ghee selection. Preferably, silver lamps or copper lamps are told to be the best, as they have soothing and cleansing properties respectively.
- Ghee used can be either pure ghee or medicated ghee if you have any specific issues related to the eyes.
When not to apply kajal ?
Well, all the procedures aren’t meant for everyone at all times. There are certain set of conditions where kajal should not be applied too. Like say,
- When the eyes are too much strained due to any reason.
- When a person has fever, headaches or is having digestion issues.
- People who are continuously exposed to fire or strong sunrays.
- People who are undergoing other therapeutic procedures for any other health issues.
To conclude, this procedure of preparing chemical free kajal at home, consumes very less of your time but the benefits they provide are amazing. One article though wouldn’t be sufficient to describe the explanations given in Ayurvedic texts, this is just a bird’s eye view of the entire concept.
Wishing you all a happy shiny pretty eyes with happy minds !!!!!!