The outer 1/3rd of ear canal has hair follicles, Ceruminous and sebaceous glands which produce greasy oil called cerumen, otherwise known as wax. Usually wax make its way to come out to the opening of ear from there we can clean it or wash it. If this process is not happening then it can stay in the canal, get collected and block the ear canal.
What does a wax do? Cerumen exerts a protective effect by maintaining a acidic environment (pH of 6.2) in the external part of the ear. It also has anti bacterial and antifungal properties.
Wax blockage is one of the common causes of hearing loss. In some people, the glands produce more wax than others; the excess wax may get hardened in the ear canal and block the
ear. And in that case when you want to clean the ear wax but when you do it inappropriately, you may instead push wax deeper, which will cause –
-Fullness in the ear.
-partial hearing loss.
In the process of cleaning wax person may hurt some area in canal or Tympanic membrane which may lead to-
– ear infection.
-perforation of Tympanic membrane.
Mistake we do during cleaning car wax:
1. Cleaning too often: – Our ears have a inbuilt self-cleaning mechanism. This usually happens during sleep or a bath and is encouraged by our mouth’s chewing action. However, if you still
feel the need to clean your ears wrap your little finger with cotton cloth and clean it gently.
2. Inserting sharp objects: – sharp objects can be fingernails, car keys, Bobby pins of matchsticks, which are generally used to clean wax. They can unfortunately damage the delicate
inner part of the ear. They may perforate the eardrum & lead to deafness. Cotton swabs are also no good. They tend to push the mass of hardened wax further into the canal.
3. Using too many chemicals: – Many ear cleaners use hydrogen peroxide. Excessive use of
hydrogen peroxide can lead to irritation of the skin inside the ear, which may cause inflammation and earaches.
4. Using hot oils – The oil should be very like warm. Not hot. Before putting examination of ear should be done.
5. Using ear candling:- dangerous method of ear cleaning. Which means, use of the smoke from a burning candle to soften earwax. It may lead to severe burns & perforated eardrums. So, if you have a habit of doing this, stop it right away.
Preventing ear Wax Blockages:-
Earwax blockage can often be prevented by avoiding the use of cotton-tipped swabs and other objects that push the wax deeper into the ear canal.
Hence, all said and done, let’s be gentle towards our ears. Let’s change the wrong practices which have been practiced through years. Any other type of ear issues, please don’t delay in
contacting your nearest Ayurvedic ENT doctor.
Dr Meera Panigrahi
Sri Sri college of Ayurvedic science and research hospital.