Owing to today’s lifestyle, there has been a growing concern about mental well-being. Generally texts define good mental health as mere “absence of any mental illness”. While others, define it as, cognitive, behavioral and emotional well-being. However, these group of conditions can affect a person’s job, education, relationships, financial health etc…. So in this article, let us have a quick peek into the basics of mental health issues.
WHO predicts that by 2020, around 20% of the Indian population will be suffering from mental health conditions. If this is the case in India, it is predicted that globally, around 450 million people are already having some kind of mental health issues and this may increase with time.
But what disturbes us the most is that, around 2/3 of the people who are suffering from the same won’t seek medical/professional intervention and continue to destroy their lives eventually. This scenario of neglecting one’s mental condition may also lead to further disasters like suicides, homicides etc.
Some of the 5 important causes of impaired mental health would be,
1. Lack of sleep patterns – unfortunately this is common in today’s world. Either people work late nights or they work in shifts like alternate night-day shifts etc … This content lack of sleep and disturbances in the same may hamper the system to a greater extent.
2. Childhood trauma – any physical, mental or sexual abuse during the early years of life is said to take a major toll on one’s mental well-being. The fear or disturbance which has happened can continue into adulthood. This can also include seperation of parents or loosing a parent etc. in childhood.
3. Socio-economic triggers– there is a hierarchy of needs mentioned in psychiatry which is named as the “Maslow’s hierarchy of needs”. This beautifully explains how mental health of a person can be affected if the he/she is low in this scale. This scale includes, physiological needs, security needs, belonging needs, self-esteem needs and self-actualization needs (lower to higher on the scale). This means that from prior to the latter, the lower people are on this rating, the more chances of impaired mental conditions. Relationship stress getting included under this.
4. Family history– some mental disorders run in the families. Eg- scizophrenia, depression, bipolar disorder etc… Hence it is very important recognise the risk factor and act on the same.
5. Changing food habits – nutritional psychology is one the growing areas for research and some break through studies have shown that eating habits are directly related to positive or negative mental health. Eg- American psychology association (APA) has noted that people who consume more amount of fast food, soft drinks and aerated drinks and refined sugar is directly related to disturbed psychological health. People who consume more amount of vegetables, fruits and fish (including some sea food) have shown better mental health.
So, since we know the major reasons for impaired mental health, let’s see some possible solutions.
1. Have a good sleep at night. Profession can wait, your health won’t. Pay attention to your health when during work stress. So that u don’t regret it later.
2. Have wholesome food. As ayurveda says, have satvik food which includes all tastes and all nutrients.
3. Learn to let go– No problem in this world is worth risking your mental peace. Let’s stay strong in unfavourable situations as well.
4. Discuss – talk about how you are feeling. Either to a doctor or to your near and dear ones. Speaking out and bring vocal about hidden mental issues is very important. This can prevent many consequences in future.
5. Yoga, pranayama and ayurveda– Get the help of any Ayurveda doctor and take help with meditation and pranayama regularly. There are some herbs mentioned in ayurveda like kooshmanada (Ash gaurd), brahmi, yashtimadhu, guduchi etc which are called medhya and hence balances mental health.
Stay tuned !!!! Happy time !!!!